Five Health Benefits of an incredible compound – Sambrani
Sambrani a.k.a benzoin resin is obtained from a species of trees known as Styrax. It is usually available in powder form or in small irregular shaped solid blocks.
In hindu culture, lighting sambrani is customary when conducting any religious ceremony. It is a tradition that has been practiced in India for several hundred years. Due to its immense health benefits and fragrance, sambrani is used in other forms like tincture oil or incense too. In many countries, it is also known as frankincense.
Due to its distinct and pleasant aroma, sambrani can help you to remove bad odor from the house. It is also believed that lighting sambrani can repel mosquitoes. Many women use sambrani smoke to dry their hair after bathing as they believe it can help them to keep their scalp in a healthy condition.
Have you ever wondered why sambrani is considered so auspicious and used in rituals? It is because sambrani has numerous health benefits associated with it.
Let us look at the top 5 health benefits of sambrani below –
1. It can calm us and relieve anxiety – Sambrani has a unique earthy fragrance that clears the air of any foul smell and promotes a sensation of peace. Breathing fresh air filled with the aroma of sambrani has a calming effect on our minds. Thus, it can help you to release any negative emotions that you may have on your mind.
In Ayurveda, it is stated that the smoke of
sambrani can act as a mild sedative. That’s why during religious gatherings,
inhaling the smoke of sambrani is practiced. Its tranquilizing properties helps
us to relax, relieve anxiety and even control depression.
In fact, babies are made to inhale the air filled with sambrani smoke in order to make them fall asleep.
It is believed that breathing air infused with sambrani can help us to form deeper spiritual connections and increase our intuition.
2. It acts as an antiseptic and prevents infections – The antimicrobial properties of this compound can help you to prevent catching colds and kill germs. Sambrani is made up of benzoic acid, benzaldehyde, and benzyl benzoate. All of these compounds are very effective bactericidal, germicidal, fungicidal, and antiviral substances.
Thus, it acts as a potent disinfectant and antiseptic agent.
Inhaling smoke infused with sambrani can help you to get rid of coughs as it also acts as an expectorant. Due to this, it can help you to relieve congestions in lungs and treat any infections that can occur in your bronchi or trachea.
In fact, regularly using sambrani can improve the condition of your lungs and help people who suffer from conditions like asthma or bronchitis.
Its sedative effects can help patients to fall asleep more easily who otherwise suffer from insomnia due to intense coughing.
Thus, it acts as a natural flu or cold medicine.
3. It can reduce pain and inflammation – Sambrani is anti-inflammatory in nature. Research has shown that it prevents the release of compounds called leukotrienes which are responsible for causing inflammation in our body. This can make them almost as potent as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). However, they have fewer side effects.
Thus, it helps to soothe the pain of people who suffer from rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis. It can even ease the pain of people who are suffering from measles, pox, rashes or other forms of similar diseases.
Its anti-inflammatory properties also help to get rid of nasal blockages and allow you to breath more easily. It is also great for people who suffer from allergies.
People who suffer from migraines can ease their pain by sniffing sambrani.
4. It acts as an anti-flatulent – Sambrani has anti-flatulent properties that can help you to improve the function of your gut. It can ease the muscular tension in your stomach by promoting healthy bowel movements. This helps people to get rid of cramps and easily pass out gas.
Due to this, it is effective in relieving nausea, bloating and urination problems. It can also help you to ease gastrointestinal discomfort by relieving you from stomach aches and constipation.
Sambrani also helps you to remove toxic substances from your blood by facilitating urination. It also helps you to improve the efficiency of your digestive system and increase your appetite.
5. It can improve your oral and skin health – Sambrani has astringent properties which can help you to prevent signs of aging. Applying sambrani infused water on the skin can improve the elasticity of your skin and strengthen it. It can also improve your skin tone and protect your skin from harmful bacteria.
Regularly applying it on your face can help you to get rid of dry skin, reduce blemishes and get rid of acne. Thus, it can help you to maintain a more youthful look or get back that young glow.
Using water infused with sambrani as mouthwash can improve your oral health and get rid of bad mouth odor. People who suffer from tooth decay, oral infections and cavities can benefit greatly by using sambrani.
Sambrani has numerous health benefits but only if
you get good quality sambrani. In India, you can get it in almost any kind of
departmental store. However, to reap all the health benefits associated with it
you should buy a higher quality product. You should also get a brass sambrani
holder in order to burn it in a safe place. Usually, sambrani is mixed with
coconut husks and placed inside a holder and then lit up.
However, a form of sambrani called dhoop sambrani or computer sambrani can be burnt without mixing it with coconut husks. You should avoid these kinds as they tend to produce black smoke
instead of white, which looks dirty and can be harmful if you inhale it.
Lighting sambrani in your house periodically every week can keep the atmosphere of your house to be fresh and fill it with a beautiful aroma. You will also observe fewer mosquitoes with regular use.