Health Benefits of Gingelly Oil you never knew
Gingelly oil a.k.a sesame oil is an edible cooking oil which has a special nutty aroma and taste. Gingelly oil produced in India have a golden color while sesame oil produces in East Asian countries have a dark brown color. Cold-pressed sesame oil has a pale yellow color.
You can easily replace other vegetable oils with gingelly oil for cooking normal dishes, deep frying meat or stir-frying vegetables. It has been introduced into Western cuisine in recent years. However, in Asian cuisine, it has been used for ages.
Unrefined gingelly oil has the most amount of antioxidants. It has a high smoking point and is suitable for stir-frying. Refined gingelly oil is a little lighter in flavor and has a very high smoking point. Thus, it is more suitable for deep frying.
You should only avoid using gingelly oil if you suffer from food allergies that arise from nuts as it can trigger an allergic reaction.
Extracting gingelly oil from the seeds is a relatively inexpensive procedure. However, it requires manual processing which results in low efficiency. Thus, production is low. This is why it is not used in many households even though the demand is so high.
Here are some amazing health benefits of using gingelly oil –
1. It can keep your heart healthy – Gingelly oil is heart-friendly as it is mostly made up of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats. These type of fatty acids lower bad cholesterol levels and increase HDL which is good for your heart.
Thus, if you add Gingelly oil to your diet, you will lower the risk of having a heart attack or stroke.
2. It can boost your metabolism and improve blood circulation – Gingelly oil contains essential minerals like zinc and copper which are necessary to produce healthy red blood cells and for the proper functioning of your body.
It also contains polyphenols which improve blood circulation and lower blood pressure. Proper blood circulation in the body helps to the organs and tissues in your body more healthy.
3. It can improve bone density and health – Gingelly oil is great for improving your bone health as it contains calcium, copper, iron, and zinc. It also helps you to maintain the optimum bone mineral density which prevents osteoporosis or other bone-related diseases.
Since it also improves blood circulation and has anti-inflammatory properties, it can also soothe the pain of patients who suffer from rheumatoid arthritis.
4. It can improve your oral health – Gingelly oil is well known for its dental care properties. In Ayurveda, it is noted that a technique called ‘oil pulling’ can help you to prevent oral infections, plaque build up, diseases related to gums like gingivitis and improve mouth odor by killing bacteria and fungus.
It can also help you maintain whiter teeth and remove harmful toxins from your body.
Oil pulling is performed by swishing a tablespoon of gingelly oil in your mouth for 15-20 minutes and then spitting it out.
5. It can help you to fight stress and prevent depression – Gingelly oil contains an amino acid called tyrosine which is known to regulate the serotonin levels in our body. Optimum serotonin levels in our body enhance our mood.
In fact, it can also help us to manage anxiety, relieve chronic stress and prevent going into a depression.
6. It has anti-carcinogenic properties – Gingelly oil contains an antioxidant called sesamol lignin which is known to protect our cells from radiation. They also help to induce apoptosis which prevents the growth of cancer cells in our body.
An organic compound called phytate is also present in the oil which may prevent you from cancer. It is also rich in linoleic acid and magnesium which are known to lower the chances of colorectal cancer.
7. It is beneficial for the skin – Gingelly oil is popular Ayurvedic medicine as it has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It acts as an excellent skin moisturizer, helps you to maintain healthy skin and retain skin elasticity.
Exposure to dust particles can pollute our skin cells and cause skin related problems. Compared to other types of oils, toxins present in our skin dissolve much more easily in gingelly oil. This can help you to get rid of toxins more easily.
It also has anti-aging and antioxidant properties. So, applying it on your skin can help you to get rid of spots and fight premature aging.
It also acts as a natural sunscreen and helps you to prevent sunburns if you apply it on your skin before going outdoors in the sun.
8. It can improve gut health – The anti-inflammatory properties of gingelly oil and the minerals present in it can help you to improve the function of your gut and reduce the effect of illnesses such as Ulcerative Colitis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), and Crohn’s disease. It can also improve the health of your intestines.
Cold-pressed gingelly oil is ideal for consumption as they retain the richest nutrient profile among all the varieties of this oil.
9. It can help you to detoxify your body – Applying gingelly oil on your skin before bathing can help you to release the toxins present deep within your skin. Once all the toxins are cleared from your body, you will feel refreshed and it will also improve your mood.
10. It can keep your hair healthy – Gingelly oil is rich in vitamins. So, applying it on your hair will give it all the nourishing it needs. Since it also acts as a moisturizer and SPF, it will protect your scalp from the intense heat of the sun.
Gingelly oil can naturally darken your hair and help you avoid premature aging of hair. You can also use it to thoroughly condition your hair in order to make it silky and smooth. Regular use of this oil can help you get rid of dandruff and lice too.
You can mix gingelly oil with almond oil and apply it on your hair to get the best results. Be sure to use organic gingelly oil as organically grown sesame seeds are grown without harmful chemicals or pesticides.